Kimberley Golf Club, Northern Cape, South Africa
The award winning Kimberley Golf Club was established as far back as 1890, with Cecil John Rhodes as a major benefactor, and is rich in the diamond fields history. With the diamond rush, many of South Africa’s elite visited Kimberley, and the course was graced with their rounds and social elitism. The club hosted the first South African championship in 1892, and the first professional tournament win for Ernie Els in 1990. The course is also home to the Barney Barnato Museum and the Freddie Tait Golf Museum.
The golf course, a well-kept, Bob Grimsdell design, is a 6229 metre, 18-hole, par 71, parkland, grassed with kikuyu on the fairways and greens. On the course, there are some challenging holes, including the 339-metre par-four 2nd where there is water in front of the green, trees behind it and bunkers to the left and right. The raised green at the delightful 146-metre par-three 14th is also fronted by water with bunkers on both sides, while the 16th is an extremely tough par-four of 424 metres off the back marker.
The course is well supported, especially the 19th hole, where members and visitors are most welcome.
As observed by Compleat Golfer’s Philip Galcut ” the only disappointment which this august club could possibly be accused of is the fact that although this is Kimberley, the holes aren’t any bigger “.
The golf course is situated on the Transvaal Road (N12) towards Kamfers Dam, next to the Flamingo Casino.
|More info on the quaint town of Kimberley||More info on the Diamond Fields area|