Canoeing – Growing interest from Rustenburg
After publishing the article Rustenburg River Racers to compete in Gauteng, Jennie Dallas, the PR/ Gauteng Canoe Union Liaison supplied some interesting facts as well as contact information that might be useful to Rustenburgers interested in getting involved in this exciting sport.
Some fun facts about the sport of Canoeing:
1. We go forward, unlike ROWING which goes backwards (different boats, paddles versus oars as well) and is recognized as an Olympic discipline.
Canoeing has a number of disciplines…..
2. Sprints is the most important discipline with Slalom also being recognized as an Olympic sport – wild white water. There are K1, K2, K4 racing – so single canoe, double canoe and 4 man canoeing. South Africa also builds and uses the K3 a wonderful stable kayak for 3 paddlers so 2 experienced paddlers WILL can take a real beginner in the middle, down rivers and show them the ropes!!
3. We also have marathon racing and 2017 will see the World ICF (International Canoe Federation) Marathon Championships taking place in Pietermaritzburg in August.
So we have races on the calendar Jan to April for Sprints, then we focus on Marathons. The Gauteng Canoe Union (GCU) calendar is on the website.
4. Another discipline is river racing which is through rapids and includes races like Fish, Orange, Dusi, Elands, Crocodile Rivers etc. which is exciting and adventurous, taking you to places you would never normally enjoy……
5. Surfski is also a fast growing exciting discipline, at the coast.
www.gcu.co.za and well as Facebook/Gautengcanoeunion has more information.
Jennie Dallas, can be contacted through the website as she works with novices / teaching / training/ doing river introductions.