The Outeniqua Powervan
Experience the beauty of the Outeniqua Mountains on a unique rail pass, one of the most scenic routes one can get.
Enjoy the forest, four passes, waterfalls, seven tunnels, Fynbos, Proteas, bird and animal life and the panoramic view from the picnic site. You will experience a unique rail trip with a magnificent, breathtaking Eco environment and interesting information.
OPV is a reliable service provider since February 1999 and operates per the Rail Safety Regulator guidelines. We can accommodate special groups (min. 20 pax) for special trips. Small groups can create their own, intimate atmosphere.
We operate throughout the year, Mondays to Saturdays. With the sunny winter climate, you can experience the beauty of the area during that time of the year. We offer enjoyment for young and old, individuals, families, corporate groups, locals and overseas tourists.
On the upward journey one passes through six little tunnels, At times the pass is so narrow that you think you are going to brush the rock face on either side! The railway passes through areas of forest and fynbos, including an abundance of king proteas, culminating in spectacular views at the summit. The return leg brings you back through the six tunnels, with the cars travelling in reverse order, offering passengers an alternate view. About halfway down the pass we stop at a picnic site, to enjoy packed lunches and take in the surrounding scenery.
The Powervan descends back into the Outeniqua Transport Museum in George, which houses an array of steam locomotives and carriages from days gone by.
Save some time either before or after the journey, to explore the amazing history of travel in South Africa, including a fascinating photo gallery of steam trains at the Outeniqua Transport Museum.
- Tariffs – R150 pp and R130 p child 3 to 15 years. Buy tickets 30 min before departure. Cash only
- Duration – 2h 30 min. including a 30 min. picnic stop. Bring your own picnic basket
- Departure times change with the different seasons
- Address – Outeniqua Transport Museum, 2 Mission Road, George, 6530
- Facsimile: 044 801 8246 & E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trips are subject to sufficient support. We do trips even if it rains. Our off-season is in August. Then we have less trips per week.
- Departure times change with the different seasons. Departure times for Dec and Jan: 08:00 / 11:00 / 14:00
- Confirmation of a booking will also be send via SMS 12h before departure. Your response will secure your booking
Bookings for the Powervan:
Advanced booking prior to departure is essential. Phone or SMS to 082 490 5627 and provide the following information:
- the day and time of the trip
- number of adults/children 3 to 15 years (babies on the lap – free)
- your contact details: your full name and 2 SA contact numbers
Bookings for Wilderness Picnic:
To order a delicious, ecofriendly picnic for your Power van trip please visit www.wildernesspicnic.co.za or contact them directly on 081 261 4981.
Please order the day prior to your booking. Same day orders can be arranged for the late afternoon trip if booked no later than 10am that morning.
Picnics range from R270 for 2 people up to R400 for 2 people. A R30 delivery fee will be charged for picnics in the R270.00 range. COD payments only.
Bookings for the Diner and Kiosk: (At The Museum)
Monday to Friday: 09h00 – 15h00
Saturday & Public Holidays: 09h00 – 13h00
Light meals and drinks are served. Refreshments sold from kiosk.
Picnic packs can be made up from items available – cool-drinks / juice, chips, sweets and biscuits.
Toasted sandwiches can be included if sufficient time is given Groups– packs and meals are available on bookings:
Cell: 072 699 4180