The ABC of Vitamin Supplementation
Many will say “It’s a waste of money. It all goes down the toilet.” The grain of truth in this is many ‘budget’ brands are not manufactured according to the needs of the body. A popular Hangover Remedy – marketed as a quick heal remedy for the after effects of too much alcohol, has, at first glance, all the vitamins recommended for just such an ailment. However, in such miniscule amounts the remedy is a waste of money and would be better served flushing it directly down the toilet!
What to Look For:
• CGMP: This guarantees the product has been manufactured to correct standards. It stands for: Current Good Manufacturing Practice. What it says is in there, IS in there.
• Quantity: Many common store brands will indicate “100% Recommended Daily Allowance”. The RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) is set at the minimum quota of vitamin a body needs. That is, to prevent nutritional defects. Latest recommendations quote the ODA (Optimal Daily Allowance). ODA levels indicate the amount of vitamins and minerals your body requires to function Optimally – the best it can. RDA prevents death. ODA promotes LIFE!
• Value for Money: Rand for Rand, what are you buying? A cheaper brand may draw you, but how many tablets will you be taking to equal the quantity of vitamins provided in the more expensive brand?
The Best of the Best:
These supplements are worth their weight in gold! Many have forgotten what it feels like to be WELL. Staving off death is not a way of living. Living in Health is Life.
1. GABA: An amino acid and neurotransmitter in the brain. I estimate 67% of ALL people need additional GABA. Our High Stress Lifestyles deplete this magic ingredient and leaves us with Insomnia, Anger and Rage issues, a sense of being Overwhelmed by life, Anxiety, Panic, an inability to complete a To Do list, procrastination….these are all symptoms of GABA deficiency. 500 – 1500 mg per day taken in the late afternoon.
2. Optimum Strength Multivitamin: Solgar V2000 or Solal Technologies 3 Per Day. Everything your body needs at optimal doses. High levels of B vitamins to cope with modern stresses. Take with meals in the am.
3. 5 HTP or Tryptophan: You will be shocked at the number of people on anti-depressants. These amino acids are the vital ingredients in Serotonin (the Happy Brain Chemical) production. Without them…depression! Try “Naturally High” by Solal Technologies or “Mood Food” in the Patrick Holford range provide the supportive supplements for Low Mood by the amino acid itself has become a ‘scheduled supplement’. Ask your doctor for a script. Available at certain pharmacies only. Dosage: 100 – 400 mg per day of 5 HTP or 500 – 2000 mg Tryptophan daily.
4. L-Tyrosine: An amino acid required by Dopamine in the brain. If your Get up and Go has Got up and Gone…Tyrosine will help. Excellent for Libido too. 500 – 2000 mg per day
5. Vitamin C: Many people with constipation are suffering with low levels of vitamin C. Interestingly, cholesterol is produced by your body to counter the effects of Vitamin C deficiency. By layering the walls of blood vessels, cholestrol is a self preserving mechanism to prevent ‘bleeding out’ which is a symptom of scurvy. 2000 – 2500mg per day
6. B Vitamins: If you feel you need a vacation, and simply don’t have the time or funds to afford it, you are probably deficient in B vitamins. Essential for the optimal functioning of the brain, when stressed, these are the vitamins you most need to put yourself back in the driving seat. 35 – 100mg of each
7. Omega’s: Dry Skin? Ratty Hair? Feel like the gears in your brain are grinding a lot? PMS? Learning Difficulties? Depression? Water Retention? These essential fats really do smooth things over. 350 mg of Omega 3 and 150 mg Omega 6 daily.
8. Probiotics: Put the right bugs back in your gut. A course of antibiotics has a tendency to kill off these very important foreigners in the body who serve an important function in digestion and controlling Candida. Vitamin K (essential for blood clotting) is made by gut bacteria.
Lack of energy, de-motivation, poor sleeping habits, depression, anxiety…these are not part of the Natural Order of things. It is possible to feel yourself again. The younger, energetic, happy you. Invest in your life. Invest in your Health.